Are you an avid cyclist? Are you looking forward to Bangalore to become the next Cycling Capital like Amsterdam!
Here is an opportunity for you to realize that dream by becoming the First ever Bicycle Mayor of the City!
You might be the perfect Bicycle Mayor if…
- You love cycling and believe that cycling makes cities safer, better, cleaner and happier
- You want to be the public face for cycling in Bangalore (not only for cycling as a way of choice, but as a mode of commute for people of all ages)
- You are a positive change maker who is able to connect people
- You are willing to listen to stories, ideas and the needs of people
- You are curious and looking for opportunities and innovative solutions
- You can communicate in an inspiring way and communicate on the vision you have for Bengaluru City
- You love using social media to outreach and spread the message
- You love taking initiatives and are persistent in achieving your goals/visions
- You like collaborating with local NGOs and communities that have a vision similar to yours
- In the end, you believe that Cycling is the only solution with the use of public transport for the current traffic issues we are facing in the city
What do you do as a Bicycle Mayor:
- You share your own story of cycling via social media, interviews and attending events around cycling and mobility
- You choose three focus points for your two-year campaign
- You keep cycling and sustainable mobility high on the agenda in a positive way
- You talk with different parties in the city that are involved in cycling to realize those goals which will include providing those parties with ideas/proposals to make Bengaluru a more bicycle-friendly city
- You involve citizens in your function by inviting them to think along, this can be done by organizing various theme related to cycling and involve people of all ages
- You participate in the international network of Bicycle Mayor, by sharing your stories and think along for international campaigns/events
- You are the Bicycle Mayor for a period of two years, after this period, a successor will be found
Do you wonder, what the first Bicycle Mayor of India is doing in Baroda? Please check out the videos of Nikita Lalwani video.
Eligibility Criteria and the General Information:
- The function of a Bicycle Mayor is a voluntary job
- The Bicycle Mayor is an individual, he/she cannot act in the name of an organization or product, or apply with commercial interest
- The Bicycle Mayor is a person who lives in Bengaluru
- With the submission of the application, the candidate gives ESAF permission to use his/her name during the campaign for promotional purposes
Who is organizing Bicycle Mayor Program:
ESAF in association with ByCS is introducing Bicycle Mayor Program, the first time in Bengaluru. ESAF is a PAN India NGO working towards to promote sustainable transport options through their various advocacy programs across 7 cities in India since 2008. ESAF is one of the core organizing members of BCOS (Bengaluru Coalition for Open Streets) who has initiated Cycle Day in October 2013. The Cycle Day has grown to a larger level with the help of Directorate of Urban Land Transport (DULT), Government of Karnataka, Bangalore Traffic Police, and the 36 community partners. These events have started bearing the fruit of having many cycling infrastructures in a couple of communities. ESAF’s walk and cycle to school programs have encouraged many students and their parents to adopt sustainable transport for their short errands.
ByCS – Formerly known as Cycle Space, is a Dutch organization based in Amsterdam working towards the ambitious goal of a world where 50% of all city trips are by Bicycle by 2030. To realize the dream of 50by30, ByCS initiates and coordinates with various cities and supports the Bicycle Mayor Network. This network is a global initiative to locally represent and accelerate the progress of cycling in cities. The program is dedicated to accelerating the shift from a car-centric to a human-centric city. At the moment there are seven Bicycle Mayors: in Sydney, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Keene (USA), Rio de Janeiro, Mexico-City and Baroda and new Bicycle Mayors coming up in Cape Town, Brisbane and Bengaluru, the network is growing fast.
The elected Bicycle Mayor will get an opportunity to work with Government of Karnataka departments, ByCS, and Dutch Embassy in India for realizing the dream of 50by30!
If you think, you could be the best Bicycle Mayor the city could have;
Call for application – 14.04.18
Last date for submission – 23.04.18
Announcement of short listed applicants 01.05.18
Round of interview of shortlisted applicants by eminent Panelists in the city of Bengaluru – 05.05.2018
Selection of Bicycle Mayor (2018-2020) – 10.05.18 (Tentative)
Grab the opportunity and share your passion on or before 23 April 2018.